As one of the most common methods of tooth restoration, your Dulles dentist may have recommended a root canal and crown treatment to save your ailing molars. Crowns are a cosmetic restoration most often used to improve the shape of, and strengthen teeth that are broken, worn, or have portions destroyed by tooth decay.
Many Dulles dental patients prefer crowns to silver amalgam fillings.
Traditional fillings require that metal be applied directly into your mouth, but the same is not true for the alternative. A crown is fabricated from a mold of your mouth; crowns are created in a lab from your unique tooth impression and sculpted so that the wearer’s bite and jaw movements function normally. Usually made of porcelain, many dental patients prefer crowns to traditional fillings because they are designed to mimic the appearance and strength of teeth.
Crowns are most often used to save adult teeth, but your Loudoun Dental Associates dentist may consider placing a crown over a child’s primary (or baby) tooth in order to:
- Save a tooth so decayed it can’t support a filling
- Protect the teeth of a child at high risk for tooth decay
- Decrease the rate at which general anesthesia may be necessary for children unable because of age, behavior, or medical history to fully cooperate with the requirements of proper dental care.
Dental crowns are custom-made caps that cover a tooth to improve its shape, strength, and appearance. Here are some of the benefits of dental crowns:
- Protects weak teeth: Dental crowns provide extra support to weak teeth that may be prone to cracking or breaking. They also prevent further damage to the tooth by holding it together.
- Restores the shape and size of the tooth: If you have a tooth that has been worn down or broken, a crown can restore its shape and size.
- Enhances the appearance of the tooth: Dental crowns can be made to match the color of your natural teeth, making them virtually indistinguishable from your other teeth. They can also improve the appearance of discolored or misshapen teeth.
- Improves tooth function: Crowns can improve the functionality of your teeth by restoring their ability to chew and bite properly.
- Covers dental implants: Dental crowns can be used to cover dental implants, providing a natural-looking replacement for missing teeth.
- Long-lasting: Crowns are durable and can last for many years with proper care and maintenance.
Overall, dental crowns offer a range of benefits for individuals with damaged or weak teeth, improving their function and appearance while providing long-lasting protection.
Learn more about crown treatment available at Loudoun Dental Associates.
Wherever you live in Loudoun County, VA you are a quick drive from our office. Give us a call, at (703) 621-4751